[pianotech] Damper Felt

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu Apr 21 15:02:51 MDT 2011

At 16:36 -0400 21/04/2011, Ed Foote wrote:
>    I have used the factory felt, and still can't understand why all
>the blocks are crooked and 90% of the trichords have one leg that is
>considerably thicker than the other.

At 21:53 +0100 21/04/2011, I wrote:

I presume the cut sets I get for Steinways are from Steinway NY.
Perhaps the clip, wedge and split are a bit softer.

After reading what Ed wrote I'd better stop presuming my felts come
from New York because the ones I get are perfect and have none of
those faults.

The box is labeled first in German and then in English Steinway
Ersatzteil/Steinway Part, so perhaps Hamburg source their felt
elsewhere.  I like the Yamaha felt for general use but the cut of the
Steinway stuff is a big step further in excellence.  So it should be
for the price.

JD