[pianotech] 1951 Broadwood

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed Apr 13 10:26:35 MDT 2011

At 18:46 -0700 12/04/2011, David Love wrote:

>...The soundboard is installed in such a way that inside of the case
>slightly overhangs the board along the length of the spine and at
>the top of the treble on the bent side by about 1/4" or a bit more.
>It's not quite mortised in as there is a space between the
>overhanging rim and the board itself, but installation of a new
>panel will be somewhat inhibited by this design.  I'm considering
>possible ways to approach this and am curious about how these are
>assembled in the first place and in what manner this is best
>approached.

It sounds, and looks, to me as if you'll need to remove the inner
block at the treble -- the part the prop-stick hinge is glued to.
This will mean scoring a line along the veneer in line with the glue
line and then using knives, spirit etc. to separate the block from
side of the case in the usual way.  This will allow you to slot the
new board into the gap along the straight side and pivot it down.
You could score two lines and remove a strip of veneer about 1/4"
wide to expose the glue line and then, when the board is in, glue in
a strip of new veneer.

The massive frame is a hang-over from the old barless design.  There
are a couple of these on eBay at the moment:

<http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Grand-Piano-/280656464618?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Keyboard_RL&hash=item41586dcaea>

<http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Broadwood-Barless-Grand-Piano-/330541758033>

JD