[pianotech] 1951 Broadwood

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Apr 12 19:46:52 MDT 2011

I've got a 1951 Broadwood Grand (about 6'6" rough measure, modern,
overstrung).  Needs a new soundboard.  The soundboard is installed in such a
way that inside of the case slightly overhangs the board along the length of
the spine and at the top of the treble on the bent side by about 1/4" or a
bit more.  It's not quite mortised in as there is a space between the
overhanging rim and the board itself, but installation of a new panel will
be somewhat inhibited by this design.  I'm considering possible ways to
approach this and am curious about how these are assembled in the first
place and in what manner this is best approached.  Would appreciate hearing
from those with experience with these.

I don't see many "modern" Broadwoods here and the manner in which the plate
is anchored to the rim is also very interesting as there are only Three
plate bolts and none between the one located near the top of the treble side
and at the lower bass corner.  The other bolt is at the top of the spine.  I
took a couple of pictures which I'll try and copy later from my cell phone.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com