[pianotech] Optimum way to stretch a new string

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Fri Apr 1 13:11:09 MDT 2011

<<Is the following way - a good way to break the string or will it take the
stretching?
Twice now, I've pulled the string up to the next note (ex. G to G#), let it sit
for a few seconds then tune it back down
to (G).
Would it break going up 2 notes (ex. G to A) ?

Usually going up a minor third will break most plain wire. Low tenor sometimes excepted.  However, if you
don't break it, but just deform it, you will likely have a bad sounding wire.
     Most of the stretch on the open lengths
happens instantaneously. What takes time are the bends, but they can be settled fairly quickly if you are 100 cents
sharp.  The coil usually has at least 100 cents of slack in it, and the becket will never see full tension.  However,
I have found that squeezing the coil with a pair of small vice grips, jaws hollowed a little to grab better, and turning
in the direction of the winding will drop the tension profoundly the first couple of twists. It takes quite a massage to
get the coil tensioned with the string.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT