[pianotech] Wiping Rusty Strings W/Oil

Michael Magness ifixpiano at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 15:18:58 MDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 2:55 PM, Cy Shuster <cy at shusterpiano.com> wrote:

> Mike,
>
> I trust your experience, but I don't follow your logic.
>
> Won't a series of pitch raises therefore create a series of bends in the
> speaking length, compared to perhaps just one if you go all the way to
> pitch?
>
> Is your strategy different at all for new wire?  Typically that's pulled
> above target pitch initially...
>
> --Cy--
>
> Cy Shuster, RPT
> Albuquerque, NM
>
> www.shusterpiano.com
> www.facebook.com/shusterpiano
>

> On Sep 29, 2010, at 12:26 PM, Michael Magness wrote:
>
>> A piano that hasn't been tuned for several years has the same problems &
>> should be treated somewhat the same. It has developed bends in the wire
>> where they shouldn't be, some of those bends will move into the speaking
>> length & will straighten out, not in an hour but over a few weeks. During
>> that same few weeks the new bends will tighten around the bends & then the
>> piano is ready for a fine tune, again IMHO.
>>
>> Mike

Sorry Cy et al,
I knew what I was saying but I didn't word it right, EACH of the tunings are
to pitch, in fact the first one is stretched above pitch by the Cybertuner
about 30%, as I used to do aurally. What I was trying to impart was that I
return them to pitch, or as permanent as that state gets by using 2 or even
3 tunings, if the piano is below a full tone flat but each tuning is to
pitch.

Tom questions if I do this regardless of time of year, of course not! What I
outlined is how I handle a pitch raise during the season, after the heat is
on for the season or off for the season if we are approaching a season
change my advice is tempered by that change. Just as I don't do as severe a
pitch raise on american made Wurlitzers as I would on Baldwins or most Asian
makes.

I would gladly consider changing methods if Tom can explain what has
radically changed about piano tensions, soundboards, bridges, strings & the
climate affecting them over the last 41 years that would cause me to.

Ron your premise about the drop being because of back scale tension I find
highly unlikely as I pound my tunings in, again an old habit I was taught
was best & that has served me well.

As for my comments about Protek, IMHO I got along without it for the first
30 years of my career & after I purchased some I did not find it to be the
panacea that many others have.

I have had more strings break on a fast pull up than on a slow & steady pull
to pitch or even a bounce up to pitch. Those of you who have not, I'm happy
for you.

Obviously I'm totally wrong about strings stretching, that would explain why
none of us EVER has to return to touchup those new strings. It also
explains why we don't have to tune new or newly restrung pianos any more
often than old pianos.
I know there is the bending of/settling of the wire around the bridge pins,
agraffes, etc. sometimes for a year ot more but no stretching.

Mike

--
  I think we are a product of all our experiences.
Sanford I. Weill<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/s/sanfordiw283095.html>

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404