[pianotech] tuning pins

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Sep 30 10:29:00 MDT 2010

Whereas your conclusions may be accurate, a slight "snap" upon initial
turning does not necessarily mean "jumpy". I've certainly tuned many a
piano with pins that give a slight "snap" or click when they move, yet
they are not jumpy and the tuning is very easy. You tried two holes
with a different tuning pin in each hole - likely slightly different
sized tuning pins and threads that are cut differently. Of course the
pins are going to feel a bit different - they are. IMHO, it is not a
valid conclusion that slightly out-of-round tuning pins equate to
jumpy tuning pins based on what you've shared.

FWIW, I know that I've pounded many an unround tuning pin into new
pinblocks with excellent results - nice smooth feeling pins.

Terry Farrell