[pianotech] tuning pins

Roger Gable roger at gablepiano.com
Tue Sep 28 21:42:55 MDT 2010

I just drilled 2 holes in a sample pinblock stock. I drove a tuning pin in
one hole with the Denro ( I think) which did not measure perfectly round,
and the other with a Diamond. The Diamond turned smooth the Denro did not.
There was a slight "snap" upon initial turning with the Denro. The snap was
not enough to inhibit tuning, but demonstrated that a oval pin "jumps"
around the hole. Why? My only guess is that the high point is pushing wood
fibers outward, and this outward tension builds up and then releases. This
is new pinblock stock and the conditions are as favorable as you could
expect for a test such as this, but imagine what the possibilities would be
on an uneven used block; a higher likelihood that the jumping could be
intolerable. I switched to the higher priced pins a few years ago, simply as
an experiment and found that I no longer experienced jumpy pins after
"fighting" this anomaly for 30 years. As for the benefits of a set of uneven
pins yielding a few larger pins to be used in the base area. Fine. Go ahead
and measure all the pins. I simply purchase an oversize set and use them in
the base area if needed.
Roger Gable