[pianotech] Centre pins

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu Sep 30 10:08:55 MDT 2010

Years ago I ordered a large stock of centre pins froom Schaff and
they were miles better than anything then available in Europe then or
now.  A few months ago I asked someone on the list if they were still
the same quality and have just received the new stock.

The original pins were a golder colour than most, slightly longer
than the European pins, not brittle like some pins, very highly
polished and with a polished point  like the point of a bullet, not a
sharp conical ground point.

I discovered on opening the parcel that only one of the sizes I had
ordered (18-1/2) was of this type and all the others are of a far
inferior quality.  They seem to me to be plated rather than solid
nickel silver and they are not nearly so shiny as the European or
Japanese pins that I can get for less expense.  I am really
disappointed, since the quality of centre-pins is so important and
pins that do no have a very high polish can be very troublesome.

Does anybody know whether the pins I described are still made and
where I can get them?  I was really banking on Schaff.

JD