[pianotech] Susan Graham

David Nereson da88ve at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 03:22:32 MDT 2010

    I too, am greatly saddened by the passing of both Virgil
Smith and Susan Graham.
    I am one of those who couldn't wait for the next of any of
Susan's articles in the Journals back when.  Seems she
disappeared for a while, then "resurfaced."  I, as one of those
who sided with the feminists in the 70's, privately cheered,
"Right on!" when she showed slides of her shop with an
all-female staff carrying grand actions around, hanging hammers,
and doing complete rebuilds in a profession which at the time
was at least 85% or 90% male-dominated.
    Her classes at conventions were comprehensive, thorough,
professional, and featured time-saving, effective ways of doing
common regulation procedures.  She had a compact kit and folding
lightweight table for reconditiong grand actions in the home.
    One of her articles showed how to build a box containing a
jack and most tools needed for working on grand legs, mounting
plates, and casters.  I built it and still use it all the time.
Yes, she had a sense of humor.  I remember her saying, "If you
got married in the 70's, one of your wedding gifts was a fondue
set . . . .," and she proceeded to show us how to convert it
into a hide glue pot for the shop.
    Ah jeez, two greats gone in one week.  Ya wonder how the man
upstairs figures, sometimes.
    --David Nereson, RPT