[pianotech] Wiping Rusty Strings W/Oil

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Sep 29 19:22:19 MDT 2010

On 9/29/2010 1:26 PM, Michael Magness wrote:

> I also acquire several customers a year from other tuners & techs who
> have done the "one sitting" method.

As I acquire a similar number from tuners who do what you do. When I
pull the piano up to pitch and tune it, they always ask why the last guy
didn't just do that, get it to the pitch at where it belongs, and get on
with it. I refer them to the last guy for that answer, because it makes
no sense at all to me.

Pulled up to pitch in one sitting, the piano *will* go out quickly,
which a follow up tuning in a few weeks or so will fix. If the tuner
doesn't prepare the customer for that, they will likely be dissatisfied.
That's not bends happening at the bridge pins, by the way, it's the same
back scale tension pull through we talked about all those minutes ago
right here on list.

Or, you can pull pitch up incrementally, so it will be years before the
piano ever reaches pitch and is in tune - if ever. An $829 pitch raise
through three price increases, right? What a concept!

Oh, by the way. Since your last guy did the pitch raise for you, you
won't have to do any incremental pitch raises, right? When my last guy
did what you do and didn't pull it up to pitch, I have to start from
scratch, as if the last guy hadn't even existed.

Ron N