[pianotech] Voicing the new Mason & Hamlins

David Stanwood stanwood at tiac.net
Tue Sep 28 18:29:44 MDT 2010

Hi Nick,

For Problem hammers that lack dynamic resiliency and gradation of
density such as found on many heat forged and/or lacquered hammers of
today I use a 13 degree needle directly the striking area of the
hammer.  These needles are available at:

http://www.draftingsteals.com/20046.html

The high open angle of the needle stops the point from going in too
far so power is not compromised and it opens up the fibers from the
surface down, creating warm pianissimo and color through the dynamic
ranges.  After an appropriate number of stabs I limber up the fibers
to bring up the resiliency and work out any knots in the felt mass
using the pean end of a 2oz ball pean hammer. I support the tail with
a wood block and hammer away at the crown.  It's non destructive and
simulates playing in the hammers for a few months in a matter of
seconds.  I've been doing this for a couple of years now and have
been sharing the method with my associates and it can work miracles
on certain types of hammers.

Good luck,

David Stanwood