[pianotech] Grand damper wire bending

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed Sep 29 14:15:27 MDT 2010

At 19:49 -0400 26/09/2010, Michael Staples wrote:

>List members: I would appreciate it if you would share your choice
>of tools and techniques for efficient Grand damper wire bending.

Though I have both types of plier illustrated on page 67 of Schaff's
catalogue, I don't use either of them for damper wires, but instead a
very light old-fashioned bending tool.  This serves also to do any
bending that may be required right at the top of the wire to
centralize the damper head on the strings, for which the plier tools
are no use.

The first thing to get right is the offset of the wire at the head
and the left-to-right angle of the top section of the wire, which
must be at 90° both to the line of the damper heads and to the line
of the damper guide.  If the angle is right but the damper head is
not sitting centrally on the unison then the offset of the wire from
the head must be changed.  To do this I grip the head and the inset
wire in a pair of duck-billed  pliers while bending the topmost angle
of the wire in or out and then adjusting the angle of the bend above
the guide.

Next hang the damper through the guide so that the bottom of the wire
hangs in front of the damper drop, and hold the head so that it is
perfectly flat on the strings. It is convenient to make a tool to
hold the damper in this position.  The bottom of the wire must be
perfectly in line with the centre of the damper drop (the bit that
holds the set-screw), which means it must also be perfectly vertical
and parallel with the part that goes through the guide.  This
condition is achieved by changing the angle of the two opposing bends
below the guide.

If the guides are worn and need replacing, it is not a bad idea, and
probably saves quite a bit of time, to do all the bending work using
the worn bushings.  There must be no pressure on the sides of the
bushing and, if the bending has been properly done, when the wire is
clamped by the screw in the drop, the damper wire will 'float' in the
guide.  It is easier to get things just right if the guides are worn
enough to allow this floating.  The dampers and guides can then be
removed and the guides rebushed before the main regulation commences.

And above all remember the dictum of one old foreman at the Steinway
shop in London : "Nobody likes dampers!"

JD