[pianotech] Wiping Rusty Strings with Oil

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Sun Sep 26 22:29:07 MDT 2010

Greg,
 Bad not good.String breakage during tuning will almost always occur at the tuning pin so oiling strings will do nothing put give dirt something to latch on to and create a yucky mess -- and ANY lube on a tuning pin could migrate to the block. Big no on that one !
Protek is my lube of choice on pressure ,V and  Capo bars and agraffes. I keep away from bass string windings with the stuff but some time ago one of our colleagues mentioned an experiment in applying protek directly to the windings to improve tone. I don't remember where that thread went . Anyone ? I think it was suggested by one of our European friends.
 My opinions here :     Oil = bad . Graphite in any form =  bad  .    Protek, Goose Juice ,V.J lube , teflon powder ,McLube and maybe some others that escape me =Good
Hope to see you at the next meeting @ M and H.
Best wishes,
 Tom Driscoll