[pianotech] Wiping Rusty Strings with Oil

Greg Livingston pianotuner440 at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 26 21:17:39 MDT 2010

Dear Friends,
Today I tuned a 1920's grand with really rusty strings.  Not wanting to add to my troubles, I put a dab of 3 in 1 Oil at each becket and on either side of every agraffe with a Q tip.  The piano was very sharp, and I break far fewer strings lowering the pitch compared to raising the pitch.  Do you do this?  I read once that you should put Liquid Wrench with a pipe cleaner at every becket, but I did that once and the whole house stunk for hours. Ergo, the Three In One.
Also, for really rusted strings in a grand, have you ever wiped all the strings with an oily rag, just to reduce the chances of a broken string?  It seems like a good idea but I await the judgement of my colleagues.
Thanks,Greg Livingston

Gregory P. Livingston, Piano Tuning and Service
781-237-9178
Piano Technicians Guild, associate member (Boston chapter)

Website-   http://greglivingston.weebly.com