[pianotech] Spinets

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Sat Sep 25 20:47:21 MDT 2010

One of the main problems with spinets is not that they can't be made better. It's that for the most part, (there are exceptions), the people who own them, got them for free, or for very little money, and don't want to spend the money it takes to make them better. Not only that, but often there are so many things wrong with them, it's hard to know where to start. Here in Hawaii, most spinets are at least 30 - 40 years old, or older, and they have rusty stings, worn out actions, crusty dampers, pedals that don't work, and cases that look like hell. Where do you start?

It's not that I don't want to make them better, even if a customers is willing to spend some money to make it better. But sometimes it's just not worth it to make even the most basic of repairs.

Wim