[pianotech] Soundboard Graffiti

Bruce Browning - The Piano Tuner justpianos at our.net.au
Sat Sep 25 00:32:03 MDT 2010

Wim and Tony,
Now we're thinkin'.
Let's toss around a few more ideas on this, but forgive my bluntness.
We all spend an hour, and more, per tuning, and this doesn't take all our
brainpower, so what do you consider during this time. I'm thinking: Why am
I doing it this way?, What does that do?, Does what I read yesterday apply
here?, etc.
Ok, it's fine to ask questions, but I question if there is no such thing
as a dumb question. Sy is an RPT, so this qualifies him to a certain
degree of knowledge. There is still homework to be done to keep up with
technology. Reading the wealth of literature available, consulting with
mentors through meetings, and self investigation all seem to be valuable
avenues for this. This list is a tremendous additional resource.
I welcome a thirst for knowledge, but you need to use your brains to their
capacity as well. We shouldn't always rely on those willing to give the
answers freely.
As to the questions posed below: Yes, no and no.
We all know that the soundboard needs to have a finish applied to it, but
why? Let's think about it folks, something to do with moisture and wood
instability?
Most questions on this topic have been endlessly answered on this list,
and available in the archive.