[pianotech] Material of Soundboards

Duaine Hechler dahechler at att.net
Fri Sep 24 22:44:10 MDT 2010

First, this instrument does NOT sound metalish and, considering, has a
good tone quality - however, a Stradivarius it's not.

He had several notable violinists around the St. Louis, MO area, play it
and were amazed that it sounded so good - rich tone quality.

Many years ago, my grandfather had this weird idea of making his own violin.

As years went by, he tried a little bit of everything - nut shells,
plywood, Masonite, thin plastics, (you get the idea)

Being a sheet metal worker for many years, heating and A/C ducts, etc,
he started playing with various kinds of sheet metal.

Low and behold, he finally had a prototype - but - he didn't like the
sound it made.

So he started playing with - none other than - stainless steal.

Everything dealing with the strings, it was wood. However, astonishingly
enough, using the vast arsenal of sheet metal tools, he made an honest
to God - a - stainless - steel - violin.

He even tried to get a patent on it - however, they came back and said,
you can't get a patent on a "process" meaning made from stainless steal.
But if he would have made a "new" instrument they would have patented it.

It is proudly displayed in my extended family's hardware store of 100+
years'

Hechler Hardware
Troy, MO
USA

--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ
dahechler at att.net
www.hechlerpianoandorgan.com
--
Home & Business user of Linux - 10 years