[pianotech] composite pinblock- Drill bit size

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Sep 23 07:03:03 MDT 2010

On 9/23/2010 7:33 AM, David Renaud wrote:
>    For a Boesendorfer grand I have laminated 3/8 delignight for the
> open faced top sections onto 1.5 inch bolduc block. Fit seperately
> and glued togther.
>    The suggested bit for Bolduc's block is smaller then the suggested
> bit for delignite as Maple has so much more give.
>
>     Can those that use, or make composite blocks share their
> experience. I'm considering drilling with the Bolduc
> bit and following up with redrilling for the delignite 3/8th deep only.
> ........???

Hi Dave,
I don't see the point in wasting an expensive block as a backer under
the Delignit. I use, and recommend, the cheap supply house rotary cut
multilam block. I drill two pass, 1/4" followed by 6.8mm, all the way
through. This produces torque in the 160 in/lb or so range even though
this is way too big a hole, theoretically, for the multilam. You don't
need, or want, a high torque fit at the bottom of the pin. That's part
of the design of the block, and that's where the tuning control comes from.

Make up a test piece and try it.

Ron N