[pianotech] YC Capo Bars

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Mon Sep 20 20:06:10 MDT 2010

I think the only way to determine whether or not a thesis like this holds up
in actual practice is to try it out--test it, and see what happens. Of
course it has to be a controlled test. In this case the only variable should
be the construction of the bridge itself. Outside of a factory this is close
to impossible but in the R&D department of a factory such as Baldwin once
had it is possible and I've done it. The test consisted of bridges with all
vertical laminations (Baldwin's standard construction), vertically laminated
bodies and solid maple caps (Steinway's standard construction) and all
horizontally laminated bridges (inspired by Kimball). These were all in
otherwise standard Baldwin Hamilton pianos. OK, not the best sounding piano
on the planet but they were readily available and reasonably consistent.
We--a variety of testing pianists--could discern no tonal differences at all
that could be either heard or measured (with what was then a
state-of-the-art HP FFT spectrum analyzer driven by an industry standard B&K
accelerometer).

After trying for some time--without success--to find some discernable
performance variation among the various types of bridge the project was
ended.

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Design & Fabrication
620 South Tower Avenue