[pianotech] YC Capo Bars

Roger Gable roger at gablepiano.com
Mon Sep 20 19:39:39 MDT 2010

Del,
I believe your correct to assume that cost is the driving factor for using
horizontally laminated bridges. In reading the various responses I believe
there is a consensus developing as to the pros and cons of laminated bridges
and bridge caps. The beginning of this thread started off on the wrong foot
when it was discovered that we were not all talking about the same thing --
bridge caps verses bridges. That being solved, this is what I believe can be
derived at this point from the thread.
Laminated caps are a plus to the stability of tuning and the development of
false beats. The selection of different materials will always be debatable,
but the concept is a plus for the piano industry. From the description of
construction, the cap, having thin laminates adhered to under great
pressure, essentially create a solid unit. The resin form a single unit
where the layers of the saturated wood impose little reflective character
within the laminate. But the horizontally laminated bridge is a different
"animal". Horizontally laminated bridges have be constructed, up to now, by
using a thicker wood laminate where the resin doesn't penetrate the various
layers of wood as much as the capping system This would create problems with
tonal development because of my submarine analyst, where energy waves would
be reflected at each laminate. It would be reasonable to assume that the
vertically orientated laminated bridge has the opposite effect, whereas the
energy has a clear uninterrupted path to the soundboard. What do you think?
Anybody?
Roger Gable
P.S. I'm off to a chapter meeting