[pianotech] OT: are you smarter than an 8th grader?

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Mon Sep 20 18:13:21 MDT 2010

Paul,

I believe Bruce got it.  Here's why:

Find the common denominator, in this case, twelfths.

So you now have 4/12th and 3/12 respectively of black, totaling 7/12 of the
cloth in black.  That leaves 5/12th of gray.  5/12 = 8yds, so 1/12 = 8/5 (or
1.6 yds).  So if 1/12 is 1.6yds, 12/12 or 1 (the whole thing) is 12 * 1.6 =
19.2 yds.

William R. Monroe