[pianotech] YC Capo Bars

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Sep 19 17:40:16 MDT 2010

On 9/19/2010 6:11 PM, Roger Gable wrote:
> Will,
> I'll use another word(s), "nasal" or "tight". I've noticed that
> laminated bridges create a sound associated with the facial expressions,
> such as when you squint or grimace or even the tightening of the jaw.

Roger,
While I'm sure you've heard pianos with laminated bridges that sound
lousy, as have I, it wasn't the laminated bridge or bridge cap that did
it. Quite the contrary. A dense laminated cap makes for a better and
cleaner termination than solid beech or maple.

> Another associated tag that might point in the right
> direction is the sound we hear from low cost (cheap) imports in the 5
> and 6 octave range -- an obvious impedance mismatch either from hammer
> to string, or string to bridge.

No, that's a soundboard problem, most readily apparent in compression
crowned soundboard assemblies. The board isn't stiff enough there.
Steinway is notorious for killer octave problems, without benefit of
either laminated bridge caps, or soundboard panels.

>Remember the Kimball grands of the 70's
> and 80's, how "pinched" they sounded.

They did, but that wasn't the fault of the bridges. It was the fault of
the scale and soundboard design.

>Can anybody help (rescue) me here.
> My association of that similar sound comes from the cheap (low cost)
> laminated boards on consoles made by Story and Clark.

You're demonstrating more vividly with each sentence that it's the lousy
overall piano, and not the laminated bridge cap that is the problem.

Ron N