[pianotech] Steinway Agraffe Size

Roger Gable roger at gablepiano.com
Sun Sep 19 16:21:35 MDT 2010

Steven,
With regard to your bridge pin question. I suggest this. Drill out the original hole with a drill bit -- usually a numbered drill bit -- to that size that is just under the size of the replacement pin, which shall be just over the size of the original pin. When drilling out the holes, do not use an electric drill motor, use a pin vise and carefully drill by hand, paying close attention to the original angle of attack. The selection of the drill bit is important so arm yourself with a set of numbered drills. Commence this task on the back row of bridge pins first. If you make a mistake your error will be less evident. Once you are confident of your work proceed to the front row. Note: the drilling is done after you have lightly sanded down the top of the bridge cap to reduce the depth of the string grooves, corrected any notching errors and applied Dag. Remember, you want a clean, well defined termination for the string -- no notches in front of, or back of, the pin holes. You are now ready to drive in the pins. A common mistake of bridge pin insertion is the inability to drive them in straight -- widening the top of the hole is counter productive to installing new bridge pins, as you want the pin to fit tight at the top of the hole as well as the bottom. To accomplish this you will need to make yourself a "bridge pin" driver. This is simply a 1/4" x 1-1/2" drill rod with a hole drilled in the end about 3/8" deep. This will enable you to insert the pin in the hole and drive it in straight without the fear of hitting it with a glancing blow with the hammer. Actually a pair of 2 punches with different hole depths is best -- one for the initial drive and the other for the final setting.

This method of bridge pin replacement is, I feel, best as you eliminate the mess of "adhesive flow" which can destroy your well defined string termination. Also you eliminate the adhesive interface that can contribute to energy refection.

I commend you for taking a comprehensive approach to re-stringing. We've all seen the re-stringing jobs where no attention is paid to the restoration of the string termination. Ulrch Gerhart from Steinway of London once said that he can notice a deterioration of the sound of a new piano in as little as five years. I believe the string termination is a major contributor to this.

Roger Gable
P.S. If you wish to incorporate this method and you don't have access to a lathe to make your "bridge pin" driver, let me know I can make you a set quickly on my lathe.