[pianotech] Steinway Agraffe Size

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Sun Sep 19 11:44:15 MDT 2010

Hi Steven,

On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 11:34 AM, Steven Hopp <hoppsmusic at hotmail.com>wrote:

>  Hello,
>
> 1.  I need to order agraffes for a Steinway M.  I know they are 1/4" size
> but do I need to order the Wide style offered?

Look at the string diameters you have and look at the current string spacing
of the lowest bichords.  That will tell you.  You don't want to have the
lowest bichords so close that they rattle, or that damping is inefficient.
 Order a half-dozen wide-spaced bichord agraffes, it's good to have some on
hand anyway.

> 2.  Also, what paint color and where can I purchase it to respray the plate
> of this piano?

Some folks use Mohawk, which is good stuff.  I use Walter Wurdack.  They
supply the lacquers for S&S NY, and you can buy direct from them.  They sell
the Steinway gold and clear top-coat in aerosol cans, which if you're only
doing one-off refinishing of plates is certainly adequate.

> 3.  Does Steinway drill the treble bridge all one size.  I took several
> sample measurements but just wanted to be sure.  My measures tell me yes.

If your measurements tell you yes, then, yes.  If you're not recapping, just
measure what's there and replace with the same, using epoxy as driving
fluid.  You can either use a little and wipe up any squeeze out with acetone
and q-tips (or whatever you like) or use a lot and coat the whole cap in
epoxy.  I use nylon panty hose to shoe shine the cap with all the epoxy
squeeze out, then after it cures, shoot it with a clear top-coat.  If you do
this, use West-System epoxy and don't use a lot of pressure shoe-shining the
top.  It can remove the DAG (assuming you use it).

> 4.  This piano had size 3/0 tuning pins, is that original?  I expected them
> to be size 2/0.

Doubtful.  Should be 2/0.  If they're already 3/0 and you're repinning, I
would recommend a new block (assuming that's not what you've already chosen
to do).  4/0 pins are yucky.  ;-]

William R. Monroe