[pianotech] Yer Wheels

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 20:23:58 MDT 2010

I was at the Honda dealer this week and looked at a Fit because the salesman
mentioned it might work for my specific needs. Lots of cargo space when the
rear seats are down. It would make a good service vehicle, IMO ... if you
didn't mind driving a smallish car (I have safety concerns with small cars).

The salesman said he had a friend that "loves" his Fit because it transports
his road bike well. And, yeah, I'd have to agree. You could fit a couple of
road bikes with the seats down -- no problem. Not that you're looking to
transport road bikes ... but I am. And my two growing boys. :)

I'm also looking for my next car. More than likely it will be a Subaru
Outback or Forester. Either of which would have ample space for a piano
tech. In fact, I'm considering these models because of their extra cargo
space. (Currently, when I grocery shop, the groceries have to go in the back
seat.)  Rumor has it that the Forester is getting a new engine for 2011. A
little bit better gas mileage.

If you haven't yet looked at the Volkswagen Jetta Sportwagen TDI (turbo
diesel), you might want to check it out. Totally fun to drive!!  *30 MPG in
the city, and 42 on the highway. * I'd probably already own one, but rear
seat room is a little small for my kids' needs. If you drive one, I bet
you'll fall in love with it. I'd hate to be a car salesman, but I could
easily sell the VW diesels.

I've hauled almost everything in my 1999 Accord. My trunk is nearly full
with tools/supplies I always have with me. A tilter will fit in the front
seat. Grand actions fit when the rear seats are down. Verticals fit on the
rear seat, though some have been tight squeezes. 343,000 miles -- it's been
a great car.

--
JF

--