[pianotech] Harpsichord Tuning Pin Torque?

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 16 09:13:11 MDT 2010

David,
Thanks for the response. It seems, everything on a harpsichord is 'by feel'
or 'because that's the way it has been done', with little or no R & D. Why
is that? Confusing to me. I'm resurrecting a Sabatihl that self-destructed
and was brought to me in several "Baskets"! Whoopee!<G> It's the first for
me...redesign of the original to, (hopefully), elliviate the possibility of
the "self-destruct". As it stands, I doubt I'll ever do another. As for
contacting Zuckerman, I've tried. They seem to want to ignore. I'd like to
get a good "t" hammer w/hook from them as well. (Sigh.)
As for the proper tip to put on a torque wrench, I took a cheapie 3/16",
1/4" drive, socket and did a little filing, (with "jewelers files),
and...voila'! Just put a 1/4" to 3/8" adaptor on the torque wrench and I'm
up and  running. Now, I need some specs. I calculated that the drill(s)
needed for a slightly looser torque would be a 3/16" or a #12 drill bit.
Any help on that account would, also, be appreciated. I assume, since the
string tension is so much less than a piano, that less torque would be
needed to hold the tuning pin. The one thing that bothers me is: when a
string breaks, (which is often), the owner/player of said harpsichord has
to take the tuning pin out of the pin block to work the "magic" technique
of replacing/winding the string. (I took Ann Garee's class at the Vegas
thingee. Had fun and learned a bit about that aspect of these critters.<G>)
The problem: if the tuning pin is in/out of the darned block numerous
times, that sucker is going to eventually be too loose IMHO. BTW, the
material I am using for the pinblock is Delignet. (I know:
'Why???!!!....Because it's what I have on hand...and, it's what I'm used to
working with!<G>) The original block was solid European Beech, (which did
the Self-destruct thingee)
Well, such is the latest "experience" in my shop.<G>
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I