[pianotech] Field hammer shank replacement

Thomas Cole tcole at cruzio.com
Sat Sep 11 12:13:05 MDT 2010

Lim,

In answer to you and Paul Revenko Jones, I have used Bill Spurlock's
method of removing shanks quite successfully. For example, a Baldwin
Hamilton parked in the hallway of a school had all of its bass hammers
broken off. I used Bill's method to extract all of the shanks without
incident, no drilling necessary.

Broken *cedar* shanks OTOH just crumble as you pull on the drywall screw
and drilling is usually needed in my experience. I like the comments
Gregor made, though, and will give a try next time.

Tom Cole