[pianotech] twisted pair

Larry Fisher RPT larryf at pacifier.com
Thu Sep 9 19:47:31 MDT 2010

I usually find a few twisted pairs running about the neighborhood late in the day but I have a different type I need to deal with.

A Chickering 7 footer with individual unisons, twisted 10 times it looks like.  I've played a bit with this out in the shop with a hand crank and a pliers but I'm not up to production speed yet.  I'm looking for suggestions from perhaps, someone that's been there and done this.

It's got to look very much like the hitch pin tail of a bass string.  Both pieces twisted together, not just one twisted around the other.

I'm going to make a hand full of these in the shop using the proper sizes prior to going to the customer's house.

Lar