[pianotech] best respirator for refinishing

jimialeggio jimialeggio at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 08:53:27 MDT 2010

  On 9/9/2010 9:32 AM, Terry Farrell wrote:

> Without a doubt, the constant-flow of air to a full face respirator is
> the best way to go. However, the equipment is costly and restrictive
> (but not as HOT as the plain full-face respirator). If I was going to
> be in a spray booth all day, I would definitely go with the
> air-supplied positive pressure full-face respirator. For the
> occasional shop use I would go with either a full-face respirator or a
> half-face non-pressurized respirator. The full-face is nice because if
> you don't have real good air exchange, it will protect your eyes from
> airborne mist. The half-face obviously does not offer any eye
> protection. However, the full-face is significantly hotter than the
> half-face.

A couple of years ago, after working in a shop for 20 years, my body
became seriously intolerant of solvents, even denatured alcohol.  Having
a beard, I knew I needed a full hood positive pressure powered
respirator, but the cost was daunting.  I  ended up getting a full tyvek
hood PAPR system on ebay for  $200 or so, and I absolutely love it.  Its
less cumbersome than the filter type masks, the hood is light, and it is
cool because a constant stream of clean air is forced into the hood and
out at the neck. You need to wear the battery pack on the back of your
belt, but its not too bad.   This works for me....so does using almost
exclusively water based products which are getting better and better.

Even so though, the water based products have resins which you really
should protect against as well...they are not explosive but I don't
think you want to put them in your cereal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/3M-Powered-Positive-Air-Pressure-Respirator-System-PAPR-/350390540903?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5194e75a67
<http://cgi.ebay.com/3M-Powered-Positive-Air-Pressure-Respirator-System-PAPR-/350390540903?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5194e75a67>

http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/breathe-easy-12-system-assembly.html

Jim I