[pianotech] best respirator for refinishing

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Sep 9 07:32:00 MDT 2010

Hi Zoe,

Here's some good government info on respiratory protection:   http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=12716

In a former life I used to do uncontrolled hazardous waste release
investigations and cleanups (the releases were uncontrolled - not the
investigations or cleanups!). I've gone through a number of OSHA
Health & Safety training programs, including working with hazardous
chemicals in confined spaces. I've used half face masks, full face
masks and full face masks with constant-flow pressurized air delivery.

Without a doubt, the constant-flow of air to a full face respirator is
the best way to go. However, the equipment is costly and restrictive
(but not as HOT as the plain full-face respirator). If I was going to
be in a spray booth all day, I would definitely go with the air-
supplied positive pressure full-face respirator. For the occasional
shop use I would go with either a full-face respirator or a half-face
non-pressurized respirator. The full-face is nice because if you don't
have real good air exchange, it will protect your eyes from airborne
mist. The half-face obviously does not offer any eye protection.
However, the full-face is significantly hotter than the half-face.

I have both half and full-face respirators. I also have a good supply
of dust filters and charcoal filters for VOCs. If I am going to be
exposed to only wood or metal grinding dust, I will use just the dust
filter. But if I am spraying a finish on a piano I will usually use
both the dust and VOC filters - the dust filter catches a lot of the
airborne droplets and the VOC catches the VOCs that have actually
vaporized to the molecular level.

VOC filters will last a long time. When I am going to use my
respirator, I will test the filter by putting a couple drops of
lacquer thinner (or any VOC that's good and stinky - gasoline, etc.)
on a paper towel, put on my respirator and see if I can smell the test
VOC. Don't use a lot as that will just use up your filter! But use
enough so that if your filter was saturated, you would smell the VOC.
Believe me, when the filter does become saturated, you WILL smell a
smelly VOC!

Fit is critical. If the darn thing leaks it is useless. Here is a link
to some good guidelines for fit testing a respirator.   http://www.gemplers.com/tech/respfittest.htm
    This web site also has a whole bunch of good info on selecting a
respirator as well as what type of respirator is appropriate for
specific exposure conditions (scroll down to the bottom - "Additional
Resources").

IMHO, plate spraying with solvent-based paints, you will want to use
both dust filters and VOC filters. Whether you choose half or full-
face would depend on air circulation/exchanges in your spraying
environment. If you are inside and just have a small exhaust fan, I
would use a full-face to keep the mist out of my eyes. At the other
end of the spectrum, if you are spraying outside and there is a very
gentle breeze that can keep your face out of the mist, I would likely
feel comfortable with a half-face respirator. Might not even need the
dust filter outside.

I've had my respirators for many years now (got 'em back when I was
doing the haz-waste thing close to 20 years ago now). Mine are the
latest-and-greatest (for that time) and are made of a silicone
material. The silicone provides a very good seal if the shape of the
respirator is good for your face. Like I say, that was the best
available at the time. I don't know what is the latest-and-greatest
today.

I absolutely recommend to get a good quality respirator from a
reputable source (not the local hardware store) - go to a commercial
haz-mat supply place - somewhere where they can fit test you right
there.

And FWIW, as I'm sure you know as you asked an intelligent question,
those paper face masks sold at Home Depot and the like are useless for
anything related to respiratory protection. They may make a passable
coffee filter, paint strainer or the like in a pinch, but they don't
do much for respiratory protection.

Hope this helps!

Terry Farrell