[pianotech] Weight question

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Sep 9 06:54:04 MDT 2010

Or, even easier would be to cut three blocks of wood the same height
as your bathroom scale. Put two legs up on a block and the third leg
on the scale (that keeps the piano level and a consistent amount of
weight on each leg). Measure weight on that leg. Replace scale with
third block and move scale to second leg. Repeat.

I think most bathroom scales go up to 300 lbs. (just checked mine and
it does), unfortunatley, I am well aware that most scale to go over
200 lbs...... ;-(   So this method would work on a small grand. With a
7-footer, maybe the front treble would be pushing the limits of the
scale, and likely a 9-footer would max it out on the treble leg and
maybe the rear.

'Course you could always spread the weight out on two bathroom scales
of the same height by placing them next to one another and laying a
board across them and placing the leg right in the middle......

Terry Farrell