[pianotech] Stability question

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Wed Sep 8 20:33:10 MDT 2010

Hi Phil

First of all, you know you are a good tuner, so don't blame yourself for the conditions. Second, although the piano you're working on is not the top of the line, don't blame it for being subjected to extreme conditions.

With it being played 7 times a week, I should say, pounded on for an hour and a half, 7 times a week, in a show, with lots of lights, humidity changes, etc., I don't think a top of the line piano would fare much better. (In most concert venues, the tuner is there before the dress rehearsal, and again before the performance.)

The fact that the management of the theater is allowing you in twice a week indicates that they are fully aware of the punishment a piano is subjected to. Count yourself lucky that they want you that often. There have been some shows I've worked for where they thought one tuning the week before a 6 week rehearsal, was enough to last them through a month of performances.

Wim