[pianotech] Agraffes: Double-Whammy

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Sep 7 21:45:35 MDT 2010

On 9/7/2010 10:14 PM, William Monroe wrote:
> Thanks Guys,
>
> Yep.  And, I just had a pleasant conversation with Mr. Isaac Sadigursky
> (thanks Isaac) who was kind enough to call me right away.  He filled me
> in and pointed me toward some information he submitted to the Journal in
> the March 1989 issue.  I've not looked at the broken parts (which I DID
> save), but suspect that these agraffes do not have threads cut all the
> way to the head.

Exactly right.

>I guess it was common (standard) on S&S from Serial
> Numbers 235xxx - 265xxx, and it resulted in technicians forcing an uncut
> stem into the threaded plate, overstressing the agraffes.

Wrong. It wasn't technicians forcing the incompletely threaded agraffes
into the plate that did the damage. It was done at the factory by the
official Oompa Loompas with the company's blessing as part of that much
vaunted hand building we continue to hear about. Techs are only to blame
when they neglect to replace these things with the rebuild, and try to
revitalize and reuse them.

> I also replace agraffes, matter of course, on my rebuilds.  If for no
> other reason than I have no assurance what has or has not been done to
> the previous batch at any stage of it's life.

I agree. It's your best shot at knowing what you've produced.

> Whatcha gonna do?

Just that, for reasons noted.
Ron N