[pianotech] Agraffes: Double-Whammy

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Tue Sep 7 21:14:02 MDT 2010

Thanks Guys,

Yep.  And, I just had a pleasant conversation with Mr. Isaac Sadigursky
(thanks Isaac) who was kind enough to call me right away.  He filled me in
and pointed me toward some information he submitted to the Journal in the
March 1989 issue.  I've not looked at the broken parts (which I DID save),
but suspect that these agraffes do not have threads cut all the way to the
head.  I guess it was common (standard) on S&S from Serial Numbers 235xxx -
265xxx, and it resulted in technicians forcing an uncut stem into the
threaded plate, overstressing the agraffes.

I also replace agraffes, matter of course, on my rebuilds.  If for no other
reason than I have no assurance what has or has not been done to the
previous batch at any stage of it's life.

Whatcha gonna do?

William R. Monroe