[pianotech] Agraffes: Double-Whammy

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Tue Sep 7 20:49:04 MDT 2010

So, I have this D that I care for at a church, and in July I received a call
from the music director, explaining that the pianist was practicing and
heard a loud "bang!" and now C3 doesn't work.  I suspected (correctly) that
an agraffe had snapped.  So I replaced the agraffe, put on new wire,
repaired the damper, etc., etc.

Now it's September and I'm tuning this same D (which has neared A=444hz with
the end of summer humidity, and while I'm lowering pitch on D3 - WHAMMO!!
 Talk about getting the adrenaline going!  So now this D (1927 - rebuilt by
another tech some years ago using the original agraffes) has two popped
agraffes; both snapped off at the stem just about 1/16" to 1/8" below the
plate.  Anyone have anything like this happen?  I guess I don't really have
a "what to do" type of question, just musing aloud as to the why's and
what-if's.

--
William R. Monroe