[pianotech] Tunning opinion poll

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Sep 4 22:26:11 MDT 2010

On 9/4/2010 8:20 PM, KeyKat88 at aol.com wrote:
> Greetings,
> Just curious as to what the general consensus is on temperaments
> In your opinion;

Well, first off, an opinion isn't a consensus. Secondly, a consensus
isn't an edict. This brings us to subjective (though ostensibly
objective) default.

> 1. Is equal temperament the most perfected (best) temperament choice
> available?

Are Argyle socks the best, or the white ones? Is mu-mint tea better than
Lipton, or is chamomile better? Is Titebond better than library paste,
or Gorilla brand urethane, or hot hide glue? Is acetone/keytop better
than magic voicing lacquer for overcoming all things less than wonderful
sounding, or would collodion or some other unobtainable Steinway
specific magic elixir be the thing?

> 2. If no, which temperament do you prefer?

I go with the coin of the realm, which is my personal and thus limited
rendition of ET. Most folks seem to like it, in spite of it's lack of
absolute accuracy and historical mystique.

Ron N