[pianotech] Wegman, we have a problem

Patrick C. Poulson pcpoulson at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 2 13:24:09 MDT 2010

Hello all:
I am restringing the Wegman upright that I spoke about in an earlier email. The problem is that I am finding that some of the tuning pins no longer have enough friction to hold to pitch. The piano uses .284 diameter 1 1/2" unthreaded pins that go in to a slighter oval hole in the plate (there is no pinblock), and create sufficient friction by the pressure against the narrow end of the oval hole. Usually, that is. Many pins in the tenor and bass sections slip. These are the options that I can think of this point:
1. Use epoxy or CA to tighten the hole, as in a wooden pinblock.
2. Use a shortened standard, i.e. threaded,  3/0 tuning pin . This would require cutting or grinding a number of these down to the correct length.

Anybody run into this problem, and found a workable solution?
Thanks
Patrick C. Poulson
Registered Piano Technician
530-265-1983