[pianotech] Cracked Ivory heads...was "a first for me"

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed Sep 1 15:28:39 MDT 2010

At 15:19 -0400 01/09/2010, Al Guecia/AlliedPianoCraft wrote:

>$40 to $50 per key is more than enough to charge for the repairs. I
>do that kind of work quite often.ÊI repair all but the very worst
>sets of ivories. If you cut all the dirt out and match the color,
>the repair is almost invisible. I charge for the key restoration
>(bleach, sand, polish, etc) plus the individual key repairs as
>stated above.

It's worth mentioning that if you are bleaching AND using Acrilikey,
you must bleach first or the hydrogen peroxide will severely
discolour the repair.

As to the job in question, I'd let it go quietly to sleep, claim
incompetence or something.  The keys look fine.  Let him clean them
and put up with the cracks just as he has put up with the grime.

JD