[pianotech] Regulating, was curve was glide/ Now Rebuilding

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Mon Oct 18 16:31:54 MDT 2010

OK, I've read quite a bit of this, but I'll chime in.

I term "rebuilding" as: The entire piano, basically, torn apart, keeping
the rim,plate and basic structure in tact and replacing everything! That's
it!  Nothing else should be called a "rebuild"!

Action "rebuilding" includes replacing everything including the keyframe
all the way to the top with perhaps the stack frames intact if they are
sound.  Probably the sos rod as well. (how often do they fail?).  Then
again...original parts? Rebuilt?  (OK...a bit too anal)

The term I have used over the years is "action overhaul" or "total piano
overhaul" as I've never done a complete "rebuild". Probably very few
"rebuilds" have really been done. ( I know there are some, so Del, Darrel,
Norm, and all, just calm...)  I will always clarify with customers that,
EXACTLY I am replacing "X" and will explain what other parts might be
ENHANCED to perform better, or almost like new that really don't need
replacing at the time (like wippen, for conversation).  I will explain why
the back action or "Damper action" is a different beast than the action,
and so on.  I do not use the word "rebuilding" unless the entire piano
needs exactly that.

I wish you all well with this conversation.  I, being uneducated in total
rebuilding, await some responses!  I just recondition pianos and replace
certaiin areas that are worn out.  I outsource major jobs like soundboards
and bridges, but will never totally "rebuild" a piano here as it would
cost more than a new one of like name and size.

All the best,
Paul  Williams RPT
Piano Technician UNL