[pianotech] Traveling tuner

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Wed Oct 13 06:15:30 MDT 2010

You know, I'd forgotten about this.  My uncle Bob Groot used to travel
outside of Grand Rapids to do a lot of tunings.  He died back in 1994, heart
attack.  Anyway, he would travel to Newaygo, 45 minutes one way north of
Grand Rapids.  From there, he went up to Freemont, another 15 minutes
further.  Or Grant, within 10 minutes of either of these two towns along
with many other nearby communities.  I was amazed at how many pianos there
were up there.  He worked through music teachers and music stores that he
had acquired up there over the years and music directors from local
churches.  He had them set up appointments giving them discounts for doing
so with their students families and then call him with the amount of tunings
needed that "week."  Sometimes it was several days worth of work.  He
started by traveling up there only a couple of times a year.  He would stay
in a Motel 8 type place for a few nights, tune 5-7 pianos a day and move
onto the next town/area to do likewise.  He eventually acquired a whole lot
of customers up there to the point where he was traveling up that direction
sometimes once or twice a month.  He traveled to other towns in the same
manner all 45 minutes to an hour or a little more from G.R., going in all
different directions.  There wasn't (still isn't) anyone living up there
locally that was any good).  He put on an awful lot of miles and went
through a lot of cars but, he also acquired a lot of customers over the
years too.   Customers because he was so good that would have nobody else.
Very few of the rest of us including me, wanted to travel that far in any
one direction.  I will however, service for churches that my dad had tuned
since 1948 that are 45 minutes away probably more because I am nostalgic
than anything else.  It is kind of cool to walk into these places.  It
brings back a ton of memories and sometimes a few tears as well for me.
Yet, these days, I charge for $20 more per tuning to get there and back.  My
choice.  Uncle Bob loved doing this and he did very well with it.  It "gave
him play time while driving" he said.  "It is relaxing."  This is very true
especially if you love driving like we do.

Whatever blows your hair back I suppose.

Jer