[pianotech] key leveling with a curve

Gene Nelson nelsong at intune88.com
Tue Oct 12 13:16:34 MDT 2010

Working on a 70's Baldwin R I find that the keys were leveled with the 1mm or so curve such that keys are higher in the middle than the bass/treble ends.
It seems to me that if the string height changed in a similar way - leveling keys to mimic this would be a good idea if you wanted key dip to be consistent and maybe allow the hammer line to follow the same curve somewhat.
On this particular piano the string height is not nearly as sloped as the typical Steinway. I just do not see the need to do this.
Are there other reasons for curve leveling that I am missing?
Gene