[pianotech] Of Chisels

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Sun Oct 10 13:45:05 MDT 2010

  On 10/9/2010 12:05 PM, PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com wrote:
> I've seen nowhere in the responses to this thread, among the
> recommendations for gloves, the simple /caveat:/ don't aim blades at
> yourself, under any circumstances. We use push sticks and feather
> boards and paddles on all sorts of power tools to avoid aiming our
> hands into moving blades. The same principle works with chisels: they
> always move away from our body parts, never toward them. :-)
One might even say that the most dangerous tool is not a sharp chisel,
it's the laziness of turning your left hand into a vise to hold the work
piece.

I saw a horrific scar on the left wrist of a magnificently skilled
woodworking teacher, who worked with dangerous power tools every day,
but it was a chisel which injured him. Whoever has a left hand scarred
by a chisel, you are not alone. It only takes a moment of inattention
when one is in a hurry.

Susan