[pianotech] when to tune...

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Oct 8 20:44:58 MDT 2010

No, I said I'm serious. My point is that I so often see one rod under
a grand piano. Assuming there is any significant/common rise in
humidity in the piano environment, so often one rod will never shut
off - there is not enough heat to lower the relative humidity to the
desired level (well, RH where the humidistat shuts it off). I had a 6'
grand in my home for many years and I had a DC system on it with four
or five heating rods - somewhere around 200W total. My home will get
up to 75% RH or so - and I need that much heat under the piano to get
the system to cycle on and off (on most of the time when RH is that
high).

That was my point. Usually a DC installation is one rod. That's it.
Done. Just not enough to do the job intended (at least in my climate).

In the situation in this thread, RH in many locations in North America
approach or attain dew point most nights - that's 100% RH, and thus
the not so serious suggestion for a flame thrower....

Terry Farrell