[pianotech] Tips for restoration of a 1926 Knabe grand?

nora somer gurlieshop at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 10:50:39 MDT 2010

Hello all,

Any hints, tips, FYIs, or sage words of wisdom for restoring a 5'8" 1926 Knabe grand? Is there anything special (inherent to this piano) I should look out for and address in the restoration process?

Philosophical question:  is it still a 1926 Knabe if little things unique to a Knabe of that time period are changed (i.e., replacing the center rail key pins and key buttons with modern ones)?  If it's not a flaw or poor design, I just think it would be cooler to have the original design, but what a hassle it would be for replacing key buttons and bushings!  What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Nora Somer RPT
SLC UT Chapter