[pianotech] Might be relocating to SW FL

Glenn rockymtn at skybeam.com
Sat May 29 19:53:02 MDT 2010

Hi All.  I haven't posted here in eons!  I've been inactive for several
years but I'm thinking about starting up again on a part time basis.  How
does one go about getting a "feel" for an area?  I know we all like to help
each other but we're also competitors when you cut to the chase so just how
does this work?  I'm thinking of relocating to the south west Florida area.
It's always been my dream to own water (oil) front property (canal access is
good enough) and now seems like a good (great) time to try and snatch up a
house.   I'm in touch with forums and people telling me how life in general
will be, but I'm wondering if you guys can tell me what tuning life will be?
In a land of mostly retirees, I imagine a tuner could have their hands full.
Is the area short or fat on piano techs?  Or maybe it's just right and one
more will tip the canoe?  I like associating myself with a piano store.  Are
there any decent stores that need a tech?  Anyone about to retire?  Any
insight will be helpful and feel free to respond privately.