[pianotech] Fw: 4 pictures for you

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed May 26 21:33:22 MDT 2010

Tom Driscoll wrote:
>  I have a question about the glides on this Kawai keyframe. The second
> glide from the bass end has no adjustment screw on the top and is shaped
> different from the others underneath. I've seen this set up on other
> Kawai frames, most recently on a Boston grand made by Kawai.
> In order to adjust that glide the keyframe has to pulled and it is
> adjusted from below . It takes a few tries to get it right   but I just
> can't figure out the logic  on why this one glide is different from the
> others. Ideas?
> Tom D.

Tom,
I see a glide positioned where one proved to be necessary long
past the initial scale design phase. Since it didn't happen to
fall in a scale break, there wasn't really room for it to be
accessible from the top without whacking out most of the (x2)
adjacent keys' width at the buttons, they did the plan B
underside adjustment special. I see the available options as:
leave it alone (though it's not a marketing imperative to
claim it as a feature, any more than it's in need of a
manufacturer's excuse), or inlay a piece of maple in the key
frame and put a glide bolt in the key bed, adjustable from
underneath. As often as glide bolt adjustment is necessary in
real world service, option #1 remains a viable category one
option on my list here. It's a pain in the butt, but not a
particularly frequent one.

Them what builds things don't always anticipate all the
problems and opportunities for niceties during the process,
that manifest so clearly and obviously after the fact.

Ron N