[pianotech] Brass rail

John Ross jrpiano at eastlink.ca
Wed May 26 11:48:43 MDT 2010

If the butts are being replaced anyway.
Have you thought on doing away with the rail.
Just buy the butts and flanges.
I want to do that if I ever have to do one again.
Then you will have eliminated the problem.
I am thinking that Asian type butts, with the slot, and just use a
piece of music wire for alignment.
Then the butts will be vertically correct, and your only worry will be
the spacing.
Use the old rail as a template for the spacing.
You will probably have to plug some of the holes that the rail
securing screws occupied.
So if the first one is positioned correct, for each section, then the
spacing will be correct.
I haven't done one, and sometimes ideas don't work out.
Has anyone done this change?
Can anyone see any flaw in my thinking?
John Ross