[pianotech] Keyslip photo 4

"Rafael M. Huberman Muñiz" rafahuberman at prodigy.net.mx
Tue May 25 19:13:24 MDT 2010

Hi Terry,

The case is the original one, sorry if the pictures are not good to
apreciate it but the clinet is the original owner from the Yamaha
store 26 years ago and it is in very good shape. It is the first time
it has been regulated since factory so according to the owner nobody
has taken out the Keyslip, and let me tell you that this clien is the
kind of picky ones that stays beside you watching and commenting and
speaking the 8 hours that you are working there!!!
I have seen a lot of cheap pianos or cheap models of good pianos here
in Mexico with particle board and or plywood like Kimball, Kawai,
Baldwin, Wurlitzer, Yamaha, and even in new Steinways there is the
adoption of plywood! Is this the future of our craft?

Greetings,

Rafael Huberman

Hi Rafael - Most likely you are correct that the keyslip is glued in
place and was held there while the glued dried with the staples. I
would sure like to see some other pictures of the piano - this thing
appears that it may have been home-made - or at least the case was put
on the piano in a non-factory setting. I ran across a similar piano
not very long ago. I think the one I saw was some American
manufacturer (Kimball maybe - I don't recall). The piano was not
terribly old - maybe 10 to 30 years - and although the plate and back
frame, etc. appeared to be factory - the case was CLEARLY not from a
factory - and I mean the ENTIRE case. One of the things that really
gave it away was the finish - it was applied with a brush (like so
many garage-type jobs), but there was nowhere to be found ANY evidence
of an "original" finish, nor any evidence that an original finish had
been stripped off. There were parts that would normally have a finish
that had no finish. And clearly the woodwork was sub-par (even for a
Kimball).

Hard to tell from the two or three photos I saw, but the paint job,
the staples, and a keybed made from particle board and plywood sure
doesn't look like any factory-made piano I've ever seen.

I figured that perhaps in my case, someone - maybe a relative of
someone who worked in the factory - or maybe a closed factory -
somebody found a strung back and actions, etc. and built a case for it
themselves.

Terry Farrell