[pianotech] bridLE (now off topic for the sake of irrelevant etymological discussion)

kurt baxter fortefile at gmail.com
Tue May 25 00:34:49 MDT 2010

Hmm... I don't know:...

 "Bridal" is derived more than anything from the word "Bride", right?   *Old
English  brȳd; related to Old Norse brūthr, Gothic brūths daughter-in-law,
Old High German brūt]
*
However, "Bridle" is:  *Middle English bridel, from Old English brīdel; akin
to Old English bregdan to move quickly*

"Bridle" is related to "Braid":   *Middle English breyden to move suddenly,
snatch, plait, from Old English bregdan; akin to Old High German brettan to
draw (a sword)*

My question is why bridle straps so named? I always figured it was because
how the straps pulled on the hammer like a horse, but I have no reason to
think this is correct.

-k