[pianotech] Creaky damper lift tray

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Tue May 18 22:28:43 MDT 2010

Barb,
   Last week I had a Kawai-Boston grand  with the machine screws that mount
the tray to the
alum. rail (nomenclature? ) working loose.The thing creaked and clicked like
crazy . I had to raise the upstops out of the way , remove the screws that
mount the back action to the rear  of the action cavity  and lift - rotate
the whole assembly as much as the damper wires would allow without bending.
Only then could I access the loose screws that mounted  the tray assembly .
     What I  thought  was gonna be a  pencil removal turned into an hours
work .
The other contributions from our crew are more likely causes but check out
those screws.

 Speaking of which --any design that has a screw  buried behind other
components and can't be tightened without such histrionics should be
rethought or at least  inserted with a drop of  loctite or other vibration
resistant material. .JMHO .
 Tom Driscoll